Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Audiobooks - Yay or Nay?

Eleven months ago, I discovered a new way to read books - a way that has now become a regular thing for me.


Audiobooks.

Now, some say that listening to a book doesn't really count as reading. Others think that they can't listen to a book and do something else at the same time. Silly people.

First of all, listening DOES count as reading. You're reading with your ears. The best part about books is using my imagination to take me places and learn about people. I can still do that when I listen to a story. The words paint a picture - how they get in my head doesn't matter.

As for doing two things at once - I'm a mom. I'm not comfortable unless I'm multitasking. But, seriously, I've listened to books while cooking, walking and folding laundry. Usually, though, I listen to books in my car on my way to and home from work. Before I started regularly listening to books in my car, I would always fight to stay awake on the road in the morning. That NEVER happens anymore. I have something else to focus on instead of how sleepy I am.

Sometimes the narrators grate on the nerves a bit. Sometimes the voices they do are a bit overdramatized. And, sometimes they pronounce words wrong, which to me, is one of the greatest offenses. Then again, it's rare to find a printed book 100% free of mistakes too, isn't it?

If you've never tried audiobooks, I recommend you throw your preconceived notions out the window. Listen to the experts (that would be us). Audiobooks are fun and a great way to mix up your reading experiences. Go borrow one from the library today and you be the judge.

2 comments:

  1. I've recently learned this can be a pretty awesome way to 'read' a book. I agree though mispronunciation is awful when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost all of my "reading" is via Audiobook. I loved this post, Krista and agree with you 100%

    The hardest thing for me is when they change narrators in the middle of a series, especially when the narrators pronounce character names differently!

    Quit being paper snobs, people, anything that lets you get MORE stories in has to be good, right ;)

    ReplyDelete